Justin is still exploring the Bermuda Triangle, so yours truly fills in for the 2nd of 3 days. It was a fantastic day for college football, and football in general. Georgia Tech won 45-42 over Georgia in a classic, Grambling beat Southern, Alabama and Florida both won big, and Va. Tech beat Virginia and they are in the ACC Championship Game. I won't touch the BCS because it's not worth it, so before I get to the links I want to talk about objectivity.
Pete Prisco is to me as Peter King is to Justin. I cannot stand Prisco (writer for Sportsline) for a different reason though, and it's because of his painfully obvious bias. Think back to the days of the Swami in the 1990s on ESPN. Chris Berman picked the 49ers/Bills as the Super Bowl matchup for umpteen years straight as a recurring joke. That never actually happened, and it won't happen this year either. Now, think about Pete Prisco, who has picked the Arizona Cardinals to win the NFC West for 4 years strong (includes this season). Unless they lose every game and the 49ers win every game from here on out, that will finally come true, and Prisco began the bragging. That's no different than picking the same lottery number for 5 years and then finally winning the jackpot and say "I knew what I was doing". It doesn't stop there though, because Prisco also makes his weekly NFL predictions.
If the season went by his picks, the Cardinals are undefeated (the Jaguars were unbeaten in his book until the next game they play). The Giants, Redskins, Jets, and Panthers were ALL inferior to the mighty Cardinals. Obviously he's just being a homer since he's from Arizona and graduated from Arizona State, but that has no place in the sports business. It's irritating, it's stupid, and he should pick the BETTER team and not play favorites.
Let's head to the links....
- Announcing quotes of the day via the commenters at AA......self included.
- Plaxico Burress shot himself by accident. Luckily he is fine and it's not life-threatening, but there is no way the Giants keep him much longer.
- Fox Soccer Channel selects matches that cure insomnia. It's been 2 weeks since there has been a goal scored on their live coverage. That sucks, because this delayed game I'm watching ended 3-2.
- Hey, the Toronto Maple Leafs hired a new GM! I'm still in fantasy land watching the offensive ly decent Canucks.
- Finally, the Bellevue (WA) High School football team is okay after their bus turned over on I-5. They were scheduled to play a playoff game in Tacoma when a car cut them off and they tipped over. No serious injuries thankfully, and the game will be played Monday.
Enjoy your Sunday football.