Wednesday, October 1, 2008
Enrico at The700level.com brings us "Who's house? Cole's House," in which he notes the asskickery Cole Hamels brought in the Phillies 3-1 win over the Brewers.
Hamels was downright fiery, pitching 8, allowing just 2 hits (none until the 5th) and no runs. Brad Lidge provided the shaky save to close it out (a double, walk and past ball resulting in the tying run sitting at second).
But there you have it, the Phillies first post season win since the 9/11 (or even the OKC Bombing), the OJ Simpson Trial, Monica Lewinski, the Home Run Chase of '98, my 2nd year of grammar school, since October 21, 1993, a game 5 World Series win over the Toronto Blue Jays...since before Joe Carter, Scott Stevens, Kobe Bryant, and Rodney Harrison.
For now, we celebrate that his the great King Cole. Just luck us, Cole knows its just one game...but there's only 10 more to go.
Besides, Cole Hamels will win 1 Cy Young...and 11 Cole Hamels
And the White Sox do it...needing two wins in two days, they pulled it off (probably as the better team) and became the AL Central Champions. They play the Rays tomorrow.
Today features a fun slate of games starting with the Phillies and Brewers at 3pm. We'll let thefightins' "How do you spell retard" break it down. Thefightins also let us know that ESPN thinks the Phillies will win. Seriously, the who's who of ESPN is picking the Phillies...poor Brewers fans. We'll let Coreyisarealboy of AGM give us his Brewers take.
More MLB info in the links.
In oddly more entertaining news, Al Davis finally fired Lane Kiffin...and it made for one of the best press conferences ever (both of them). Davis being his own senile douchey self and Kiffin responded just like any wronged (and unjaded) young up-and-comer would. You can watch Davis spew his hate here. And Monte's son respond here (probably stupidly) right here.
But seriously? Fedexing letters? "I know you didn't want JaMarcus Russel? Deal with it?" Bitching about the press getting news right away? What the hell is wrong with Davis? Seriously? At least Jerruh Jones is hands off enough to keep some things in house. Who would even want this job? Do you think Davis asked Rob Ryan and Gregg Knapp and they both passed (planning on taking new jobs next spring) and finally made it to Tom Cable (an OL Coach!) and he said yes.
I'm fairly confident a Raiders coaching job is the real world equivilent to working at Bear Sterns or Lehman Bros. Yes, its financial services, yes its a historic company with great history and a great number of people involved. But honestly, its all in the shitter now and that shiny job you had on your resume now looks like a huge albatross. I'm surprised Ryan and Knapp are getting out of Dodge already. Besides, if GaryKubiak keeps his job and with Shanahan in Denver, I can already guarantee Gregg Knapp a job...Ryan's still got his brother and dad kicking around the NFL. They'll be fine. Kiffin? I'm not so sure.
This franchise is a joke...
PFT does a good job of giving us the run down on Davis's hilarity and his numerous bombshells
- The Mets are still upset.
- Tim Kurkjian's 5 Qs for the Dodgers and Cubs
- Sox and Dawgs does: A look back the Sox and Angels season series, News and Notes for the start of the series, and the proprietors give their predictions for the first round.
- AnotherCubsblog gives us their preview for the other NLDS series and gives us some interesting thoughts on the important and role Giovanni Soto.
- Desipio provides more insight on Dodgers-Cubs
- Our Manny Stiles (at AGM) talks about the tournement of losers
- Its still early on this, but a nice little Rays-White Sox Preview as well
- Ladies and Gentleman, Sheshawn Johnson. I mean, I hate Terrell Owens and I think "Sheshawn" is an idiot for defending him (just like Michael Irvin is/was), but this is what happens when major egos collide. At least they have a lot in common...mostly by the rings on their fingers (0)
- When did Kenny Mayne jump the shark? (We at BNB believe it was 1998, during the Home Run chase and the death of "Yahtzee!")
- AA also brings us the salacious idiocy of Joe "Heisman" Theismann (Plus AA has a Photo of Sly Stallone...so we had to link)
- And finally, per usual at BNB, anytime we mention the phrase "Playoffs?!" we have to link to this. Truth of the matter is, the offense did do "Diddely Poo" and I'm curious as to whether he still gets residuals for this.