Something about an "NFL" game yesterday. I use the quotes because frankly the Cardinals and 49ers isn't exactly the height of competition in the NFL, or at least at the height of what the NFL would like to show in primetime. Could have been worse, it could have been last year's editions.
Apparently the game turned out fairly well, with the Cardinals winning 29-24 with the game winning score coming late in the 4th. Must be nice to play in such a shitty division (against which the Eagles are 3-0)
The big news appeared to be out of baseball; where the Rockies traded Matt Holliday to the A's for a trio of "prospects," to include Huston Street (the non-prospect ML ready Closer), Greg Smith (A left handed starter) and Carlos Gonzalez (a slugging outfielder).
Keith Law of ESPN is reporting that the Nationals have acquired Scott Olsen and Josh Willingham for, among others, Emilio Bonafacio. Law claims it was a good move, I just don't see it.
And perhaps the most interesting info was a non-move. The Padres pulled their 4 million dollar 1 year offer for Closer Trevor Hoffman (which included a club option of 4 million for 2010). GM Kevin Towers has refused comment regarding the move and Hoffman, by my account, could be miffed at the move.
- ArmchairGM is having another "Hottest" competition: This one is Hottest Female Athlete. Check out Regions one, two, three and four
- AwfulAnnouncing fills us in on Todd Blackledge's taste of the town tour-de-force.
- The fascinating case of Daunte Culpepper's contract...
- With Leather informs of us of Jared Lorenzen's competition (not Jesse Palmer...)
- My life for Eyre!
- And finally, we're a little late on the getgo, but this little bodybuilding thread and all that was involved made me almost complete numerous body functions (from vomiting to peeing myself from laughing so hard...no, I never did that)
But there were highlights (Jeff, at least you enjoyed yourself somewhat)
- 117) Richie Sexson, 1B: From consistent 30-homer masher to … below Sidney Ponson. Oy.
- 118) Carl Pavano, SP: Hehe.
- 125) Julian Tavarez, RP: Hey, he’s always up for throwing at batters, if nothing else.
- 141) Ramon Martinez, UT: Three more seasons and he’ll actually have had as long of a career as the good Ramon Martinez.
- 142) Mike Timlin, RP: Wait. He’s really not Bob Howry’s twin?
- 143) Josh Fogg, SP: Penance for accepting the nickname "The Dragon Slayer" is a 7.58 ERA the next season.
- 144) Horacio Ramirez, RP: The White Sox actually gave up a player to trade for him in ‘08.
- 150) Kevin Mench, OF: He could end up in Japan.
- 164) Toby Hall, C: He is better known in the White Sox clubhouse for his facial hair than his talent.
- 166) Javier Valentin, C: Actually isn’t half-bad.
- 167) Gary Bennett, C: Actually is.