I was rooting for the White Sox yesterday (well, last night). Not because I hate Chicago (I hate them a little bit more today, heh), but because I'm a baseball fan and I love one game playoffs. Nothing says "Shit, this is do or die" more than one game playoffs to decide the fate of 2 teams. Last night the White Sox legged one out against a determined Tigers team who wanted to end Chicago's season. Dueling Phillies castoffs (Gavin Floyd and Freddy Garcia, who were once traded for eachother) battled, but Garcia relented due to injury, opening the door for Alexei Ramirez to lead the Sox onward.
It sets up tonight's Minnesota at Chicago Matchup, featuring Nick Blackburn and John Danks. 7:30 PM EST
The Steelers survived the Ravens last night, mostly thanks to a defense that bailed out an absolutely disheartened offensive line that might end up killing Big Ben if they don't step it up. The injuries keep piling up, as already injuried Willie Parker sat, and now Rashard Mendenhall, the vaunted rookie, will miss the rest of the season with a fractured shoulder.
Perhaps the more interesting news from the day was the Raiders coaching search. This tidbit from AGM writer SJ Hypocycloid provides a pretty valid point. Lane Kiffin hasn't been fired yet, but the Raiders are replacing him as we speak. Good work Raiders PR Department.
- Kyle Lohse finally got the deal he (and Scott Boras) wanted...and the Cards paid the price
- Sam I Am Staying in Boston
- Nikolai Khabibulin...oh how the mighty have fallen.
- Do you think he puts it between his teeth?
- David Blaine is now in good company with Criss Angel...
- Via PFT, Chris Henry (9 time arrest superstar) can get a roster exemption, but Matt Bryant (father of child he just buried) can't? I thought the NFL was trying to improve their image?
- Lee-toe...still unhappy
- And finally, via MLBTraderumors.com, How to Fix the Mets (a lot)