Once again, I apologize for the lack of quality (even more so than usual) in yesterday's links. Today will be (ever so slightly) better.
Michael Phelps drive for five pushed him into elite Olympic status yesterday, as he earned his 4th and 5th Gold Medals making him, the most decorated Olympic Swimmer ever and probably a top Olympian.
And now the NBC fueled debate...Is Phelps the G.O.A.T. (Greatest of all time).
As a swimmer, he's certainly got the credentials. And watching what the 4x200 team did last night (as Phelps easily pushed them to victory) cemented his status near the top (and in my opinion, he'll be it if he can earn 3 more gold medals).
But to declare him the greatest athlete of all time is certainly pushing it. Truth be told, Phelps is a swimmer only. And while I do believe that swimming (perhaps one of the best total body exercises) is amongst the most encompassing of athletic events, it certainly doesn't establish that cross-athletic ability that other events (like, say, the decathlon) do. And that is why Phelps will be (at least to me) the best swimmer, but not necessarily the best athlete. That title is still reserved for those who can cross sports or events.
Enough of the soap box, on to the links:
- Pacman = Assclown
- PFT also reports on the odd "tear" of ACL injuries in Gainesville
- So when Tim Wakefield gets injured, you just find his much shittier (and no knuckeball) clone?
- Damn you Guitar Hero
- The Joe Horn episode continues
- The "Redeem Team" just got a little sketchier...Sometimes the NBA just kills me
- Mike Wilbon gives us his thoughts on things from Stephen A. to Bloggers to Porn Stars
- Lucchino staying in Boston...Rest of country not giving a shit about those Red Sox d-bags
- And Finally, how not to weight lift