We've decided to take a new approach and find a new logo for the "Linkin' Logs." On that note, if you've got something of your own, feel free to submit: Justin@badnewsbloggers.com and we can discuss (which means, we'll probably use it).
What a fantastic weekend for Philly. Sure the Sixers are off to a tough start and the Flyers ended their winning ways (after ending their winless streak to start the season), but the Phillies are champions and the Eagles are now 5-3 and out of the basement of the NFC East (thanks Dallas).
And most interestingly, the story of this weekend is probably the BCS. Alabama moved into the top spot, not surprising given their SEC winning ways and Texas losing. Texas's loss (by Texas Tech) pushed them into 2, leaving PSU in the dust at 3 (you can thank the "little" 10) and Florida and Texas round out the top 5. Many PSU fans are upset that they didn't move up, but with the only ranked opponent win being Ohio State (12). Though they did beat Illinois (formerly a top 25) and have dates with Northwestern (many votes) and Michigan State (18).
Still, that's not exactly on par with TT, who's already beaten #23 Kansas State, #1 Texas and still has dates with Oklahoma State (9) and Oklahoma (5). Take care of business there, and it's hard not to argue TT into the National Title Game.
Meanwhile Alabama has defeated Clemson (9 at the time, unranked now), Georgia (6), LSU (19) and still has dates with Auburn and probably Florida (4) in the SEC title game. Again, take care of business and you'd be hardpressed to not put them in the Title Game.
And here's the one that should flip PSU fans' lids. Florida, at 7-1 has beaten #19 LSU and #6 Georgia, both at their houses and in impressive fashion, while losing a heartbreaker to Mississippi. They've still got dates with a tough Vandy Squad, Spurier's Gamecocks, Rival Florida State (22) and possibly Alabama (1). Again, with wins to close out the season, they could be 12-1 with 4 wins of ranked opponents and a fluky loss to Mississippi. Sitting at 4 now, I could see them leaping PSU with a title game defeat of 'Bama. It not only could happen, it's bloody likely.
PSU fans can badger all you like about beating everyone in front of you (like TT and 'Bama could do, in which case, they'd really have no gripe as far as the game itself...playoffs are another issue altogether), but when you open the season with the likes of Coastal Carolina, Syracuse and Temple (a collective 9-17) you gotta find some way to make up for your conference deficiencies.
- When the season started, did you really expect Bears fans to cringe or cheer when Kyle Orton got hurt. Oh, the irony.
- We're just using this article as a way to say "Rusty Hardin" one more time. Seriously, Roger, give it a rest.
- PFT is counting down their top 7 moments in their 7 years as a news source. We like number 7, if for no other reason than once again proving why Charley Casserly is dumb.
- From MLBTradeRumors.com, The John Heyman Free Agency Predictions. Good stuff to light the hot stove with.
- On that note, we here at BNB love MLBTradeRumors, they're a great source of MLB Hot Stove info, if for no other reason than they're ability to collect numerous articles throughout the net.
- AwfulAnnouncing, gives us the scoop on Bill Simmons and ESPN. Woooooo!
- EC gives us some more Halloween Smackdown Rundown.
- And finally, They also gives us 12 hilarious facts about yesterday's football action. Seneca Wallace is S-M-R-T