Some interesting news out of California today. Piedmont, CA head football coach Kurt Bryan and their director of Football Operations Steve (don't call me Stan) Humphries have come up with perhaps the most stunning football development not seen since the creation of the Shotgun.
Well, last season Piedmont High's football minds developed a method in which to make all players on the field eligible receivers. The system is based on the idea of having two quarterbacks, and a base offense that consisted of a center, two tight ends book ending him, six receivers (split three on each side) and two Quarterbacks, one playing deep in the backfield (seven plus yards). This offense was nicknamed the "Pluto offense" but later became the "A-11 Offense" as in all 11 players can become receivers. The offense even has an official website: www.a11offense.com, which describes itself as "an innovative offense blending aspects of the spread option, West Coast and run and shoot."
And while reviewing the rules and working with league officials, Bryan and Humphries became sure the offense could be legal. While only five receivers are actually eligible, the other seven players move and can make different plays in the backfield, nevermind the two QBs who can easily lateral to eachother creating even more options. So twenty years from now, when you see the A-11 in the pros, harkin back to Bryan and Humphries, the innovators.
- I thought Kerry Wood was on the DL last week... What makes it more entertaining is that is retroactive to July 14th, even though he was placed on the DL on the 24th, which means Wood is eligible to return on the 29th, or next Tuesday...
- Apparently MLB is conducting a study of broken bats from last season and the current one. One average one bat is broken per game. Good ole Cholly Manuel has the best solution; "better bats." But really, he's more interested in quality handles, which have gotten much thinner over the years...there's a good place to start.
- We can only hope the Cubbies get into a brawl after calling up this prospect.
- 76ers add the nut-puncher
- Jason Cole of Yahoo is apparently leading rumblings that the Favre talks are reaching a head. The Packers will come up with a list of teams and Favre will allow them to move forward. Two words: Tampa & Bay
- Great Player and Good Guy, Good Bye Rod Smith
- Who the fuck is Adam Jones? And why does that asshole need to be reinstated? Oh? What? Make it Rain!
- Penn State held a one man practice last night, that ended with one student attempting to take home the Alamo Bowl Trophy
- And of course, thanks to AA, Sweet Jesus! Awesome Baseball Brawl!