Try earning your 8 mil this year and close games.
And that pretty much says it all. The hard charging Mets, winners of 10 straight, have tied the (sorta) idle Phils for first. New Yorkers are more annoying than ever (and not even Yankees fans) and this Phils fan broke a beer mug thanks to Fran's awful performance.
But all is not lost, as the Phillies (who I said were only semi-idle) went out and got workhorse pitcher Joe Blanton, who's been less than stellar this year, but still capable of pitching deep into games (which is the only thing a Phillies offense this potent needs). The Phils shipped three prospects to Oakland; Outfielder Matt Spencer, Pitcher Josh Outman and 2nd baseman Adrian Cardenas. I know little about Spencer, but Outman's been amongst the Phils best pitching prospects and Cardenas was among their best fielding prospects. That being said, the Phils really gave up little in their own plans, because Cardenas's position, as you know, is currently filled by NL MVP-hunter Chase Utley, and with a glove comparable to Utley, there was little reason to see Cardenas in the Phils plans for the future. In fact all, indications are that he was trade bait to from the moment he was drafted.
So how does Blanton help the Phils? Well, check out the700level.com's video from ESPN's baseball tonight...
Yes...he did say that...and Yes, the Phils are currently in first...but I also hope they can catch the Mets! Anyways, on to the links!
- Some more sad news regarding Johnny Mars
- So lost amongst some relatively smart moves was this little tidbit; the Yankees signed Richie Sexson. As one of my really good friends put it; "Sexson's like Giambi...only its when Giambi is slumping."
- Nice Headline
- Does no one want Ron Artest? He's so nice
- Sorry Clippers, but raiding the best team in the west (not to make the playoffs) will not make you a playoff contender...it'll get you 45 wins
- One of the best names in football (literally) will be riding the pine to start this season.
- Fantastic! Two top Eagles have fired their agents and are looking to use Satan...err...Drew Rosenhaus, to get what they want...I guess that's money and not championships
- Hey, Mike Vernon got a job!
- Hmm, the empire strikes back. Look, when the NHL says "Stop being a douche," they mean it
- Courtesy of AwfulAnnouncing, A gem from sports radio personality Chris Baker of Minnesota...
- And of course, thanks to Deadspin...another Vomit-fest from Mets fans...
But not you worry...what do you think of this?